Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Classes, Classes & more Classes

I have been taking every knitting class I can at several of the local yarn shops.  In Oct I took a seamless sweater class at Oh Yarn It in McPherson and since then I have taken or am taking five knitting classes at Twist in Wichita. The first one I took was a steeking class in which we knitted a cowl in the round with a two color pattern and then steeked it (cut it.).  Mine turned out a little too big as I am a loose knitter and I should have gone a size smaller on my needles.  One of the gals in my class suggested I felt it.  I did so and I think it turned out just awesome.  This is it pictured above.

The next class I took was basic cables.   I have wanted to learn to make cables for the longest time.  I love the look of them.  They were not nearly as difficult as I expected them to be.  I so enjoyed making the coffee cup cozy for class that I then used the same pattern but used larger needles and heavier yarn and made a cute little cowl for my dogs.

The next class, basic socks, was probably the most difficult for me but I want to get busy and try some more until I really get the hang of it.  We used DPNs for the class which I am not fond of using so I am anxious to try a short circular needle to make a pair.

I am now in the process of taking two classes the first being a class on knitting gloves.  They are knitted flat which makes them a little easier but I am anxious to learn how to do the fingers.  I am using a sock yarn with angora in it.  It is orange and magenta and ivory and has a self patterning to it that is striped with a fair isle type design.  I am having so much fun with these.  I think I will definitely be knitting more of these.

The other class that I am taking at the moment is knitting a lace cowl.  I love crocheting lace patterns especially from a chart and that is how we are knitting this cowl.  I have seen so many beautiful knitted lace shawl patterns and I want to someday soon knit one for myself.

That's all the classes I have scheduled so far but I still want to take some more socks classes as well as mittens and entrelac.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for checking out my blog. I have been crocheting and sewing for about 45 years. I learned from my grandmother and in 4-H. I started taking knitting classes about 5 years ago and I am obsessed with knitting. I am a self-taught jewelry maker. I also dabble in polymer clay and just about every other craft known to man. I love to go to garage sales, estate sales, flea markets and Goodwill. I love to take old things and revamp them in to something pretty or useful. I love to reuse old sweaters and clothing for the fabric, old jewelry and old home decor items. I like the idea of recycling and I also like to be able to make nice items without spending a lot on supplies. This, as well as being a pro bargain finder, helps me to keep my prices low. I am happy to take requests for special items You can find my items at lisalian.etsy.com.