Thursday, April 3, 2014

Easy Shawl Pin

You will need pliers, wire cutters, dowel or knitting needle and 14 or 16 gauge wire.



Cut a piece of wire about 18" long. With pliers bend wire into a u shape about 3" from one end.



Make a 45 degree bend about 1" from the end of the short end of u shape.


Hold the u shaped looped end with pliers and use the wire you just bent to wrap around the loop.


Using dowel or knitting needle, bend the loop into a hook.


Using pliers, turn up the end of the hook.  Use pliers to shape hook.


From end opposite of hook, thread on desired beads. Be sure to choose beads that have an ample opening.  I like to use small beads on each end of my beads. This helps to keep all the beads from sliding around.  Once you have all your beads placed as you like, use dowel, knitting needle, sharpie etc to make a loop or double loop for the spring.


 With hook facing up place dowel (or other round tool) on top of wire. Make sure to hold it tight against the beads. Wrap the wire towards the hook going around the dowel at least once.  If you have enough wire, wrap it twice or more.


 Put the end of the wire through your hook and then trim it but don't trim it flush with the hook.


Since using the pin on a garment may take up some space in the pin, be sure to leave enough wire to go past the hook a bit.  I would leave at lest 1/4"


Shape as you like and if desired you can sharpen the end with a metal file but it will easily go through most knits as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for checking out my blog. I have been crocheting and sewing for about 45 years. I learned from my grandmother and in 4-H. I started taking knitting classes about 5 years ago and I am obsessed with knitting. I am a self-taught jewelry maker. I also dabble in polymer clay and just about every other craft known to man. I love to go to garage sales, estate sales, flea markets and Goodwill. I love to take old things and revamp them in to something pretty or useful. I love to reuse old sweaters and clothing for the fabric, old jewelry and old home decor items. I like the idea of recycling and I also like to be able to make nice items without spending a lot on supplies. This, as well as being a pro bargain finder, helps me to keep my prices low. I am happy to take requests for special items You can find my items at lisalian.etsy.com.